The Rockland Bicycling Club Presents: "Giro dell'Adriatico"
In September 2023, the Club is goinig to go to Italy to ride the Adriatic coast from Venice, Italy to Pula, Croatia. This route will take us through the peidmont of Italy up to the Dolomites, across to the Prosecco region and into Trieste. From Trieste, we'll cycle our way down and across the Istrian penninsula through Slovenia and Croatia. Ending at the ancient Roman city of Pula, Croatia, we'll ferry back to Venice.
By Rockland standards, this route will be moderatly hilly overall (50ft/mi) with no segment out of reach for the average Rockland rider. We will vary segment length and elevation to get us where we need to go,provide plenty of rest and time to stop and enjoy the scenery and points of interest.
This is a tour not a race! Average pace will be determined by the riders and those that want to go slower/faster will be able to do so as everyone will have the route and we'll not lose anyone. We will be 100% supported with a SAG van to carry our luggage and equipment from point-to-point.
- Venice, Italy to Pula, Croatia
- Start and Finish: Venice, Italy
- 05 September 2023 to 15 September 2023
- 10 days : 336 miles, 17,088 feet of elevation (51ft/mi)
- RWGPS Route Collection
- To sign-up for more information visit the Ride Schedule and find the ride (Sept. 5th) and follow the directions. The ride schedule and these pages will be updated regularly as we solidify more details of this trip.
(Click the links to learn more about each day)
Day 1: Treviso – Montebelluna
26 mi, 1,090 ft
Day 2: Montebelluna - Belluno
Day 3: Belluno – Pordenone
46.1 mi, 1,539 ft
Day 4: Pordenone – Udine
37.5 mi, 967 ft
Day 5: Udine – Trieste
55.2 mi, 2,175 ft
Day 6: Trieste – Koper
18.9 mi, 983 ft
Day 7: Koper – Buzet
48.4 mi, 3,980 ft
Day 8: Buzet – Rovinj
39.8 mi, 2,640 ft
Day 9: Rovinj – Pula
22.1 mi, 961 ft
Day 10: 7:30am Ferry back to Venice, Italy (More to come on this leg...)Approximate Total Cost:
- $2,000 (6 People)
- +Meals + Case rental
- Flights are calculated to/from NYC - Venice, Italy
- We STRONGLY SUGGEST arriving in Venice on 9/4 and returning no earlier than the afternoon of 9/15
- Costs are based on double occupancy
- Each participant pays for a portion of the SAG Van
- Everyone is responsible for getting to the start point and for thier own lodging bookings.
- RBC will provide suggestions on hotels to book in the cities we stop at.
- Flight into and out of Venice $555 (Basic Economy, one stop) $750 (Basic Economy Nonstop) $900+ (Main Cabin, Nonstop)
- Recommended: Venice Marco Polo Airport (VCE)
- Hotel (Day 0-9) $100/day for couple or $50/day for shared room (Total ~$500/person)
- Recommend to book hotels using Booking.com
- Van Rental (max. 9 people) $3,700 / # people traveling
- Van Gas Cost $650 / # of people traveling (assume $10/L and ~30 mpg for 500 miles)
- Ferry from Pula to Venice (Click HERE to book) $85 as of 2/18/23
- Optional Bike Case Rental $150 for 2 weeks
- TOGA! Bikes, 110 West End Avenue, NY, NY 10023; (212) 799-9625
- Echelon Cycles, 151 West 19th Street, NY, NY 10011 (212) 206-7656
- Valid Passport with available visa pages & 90 days of extra validity beyond your departure date
- Van Driver(s) : International Driver's license AAA: https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html
- Euros for Italy & Kuna for Croatia
- Travel Insurance recommended for health emergencies (~$78 thru https://www.worldnomads.com/usa/travel-insurance)